A Teacher's Guide to Standards-Based Learning: (an Instruction Manual for Adopting Standards-Based Grading, Curriculum, and Feedback) (Paperback)
With foreword by Robert J. Marzano
When teachers adopt standards-based learning, students take ownership of their education and achievement soars. Written specifically for K-12 teachers, this resource details a sequential approach for connecting curriculum, instruction, assessment methods, and feedback through standards-based education. The authors provide practical advice, real-world examples, and answers to frequently asked questions designed to support you through this important transition.
Implement standards-based grading, instruction, and curriculum in your classroom and school:
- Explore the theories and benefits of a standards-based curriculum and become familiar with several significant paradigm shifts that will help you make a strong transition to a standards-based classroom.
- Explore ways to shift your thinking about teaching and lesson plans in order to better understand content as a vehicle for the achievement of standards.
- Learn how to develop proficiency scales that will offer guidance in teaching to standards and establishing informative classroom assessment for student learning.
- Discover new styles of instruction, educational assessment, feedback, and curriculum building that are well suited to standards-based education.
- Understand how to develop student ownership through the setting of goals, and access free downloadable reproducibles available with this book.
About the Authors
About Marzano Research
Foreword by Robert J. Marzano
Chapter 1: Planning Instruction With Proficiency Scales
Chapter 2: Instructing With Proficiency Scales
Chapter 3: Setting Goals and Tracking Progress
Chapter 4: Administering Quality Classroom Assessments and Figuring Grades
Chapter 5: Teaching Exceptional Students
Chapter 6: Communicating Grades
Appendix A: Frequently Asked Questions
Appendix B: Creation of an Elementary Unit Plan
References and Resources